105-107 Forsyth Street
132E Nightingale Hall
Boston, MA 02115
ATTN: Kathleen Durant, 202 WVH
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
- Social network analysis and visualization
- Database design
- Data science
- Personal health informatics
- PhD in computer science, Harvard University
- MS in computer science, Boston University
- BS in mathematical studies and computer science, University of Massachusetts, Boston
Kathleen Durant received her PhD in computer science from Harvard University in 2008, with a thesis that modeled political sentiment and its temporal evolution from political web log posts. After that, she was a National Library of Medicine research fellow at Harvard Medical School, in the lab of Clinical Informatics at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. Her research at the lab investigated online cancer forums and the topics, sentiments, concerns, and support provided by these online discussion groups.
Recently, she was the director of analytics and the principal scientist at Silverlink Communications, a small health care communications company. There, her primary responsibility was to develop health care engagement models for communication interventions to increase preventive care. She has taught courses at the Khoury College of Computer Sciences since 2013 and has been a computer professional for more than 30 years. In her spare time, she enjoys reading, cooking, collecting sea glass, skiing, traveling, and spending time with her family.
What courses/subjects do you teach?
- CS1100 Introduction to Computer Science
- CS1802 Seminar for Discrete Structures
- CS3200 Database Design
- DS4400 Machine Learning and Data Mining 1
- DA5020 Collecting, Storing and Retrieving Data
- DA5030 Introduction to Data Mining and Machine Learning