Download my curriculum vitae in pdf format (last updated on 6/28/2023). Google Scholar profile.
Interested in working with us? We have broad research interests. Please check our selected three publications in the areas of learning from biased data, semi-supervised learning, evaluation of machine learning algorithms, general machine learning, graphs and hypergraphs, genome interpretation, protein function, mass-spectrometry proteomics, and post-translational modifications. Also see our review papers.
Courtesy appointments. Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology; Barnett Institute Fellow; Affiliate Faculty of the Roux Institute; Core Faculty Member of the Institute for Experiential AI.
- ☀️ (November 2023) The CAGI flagship paper accepted to Genome Biology. See earlier version on arXiv.
- ☀️ (October 2023) I will be giving a talk at Iowa State University to present our recommendations for the use of PP3 and BP4 criteria on the use of in silico predictors in clinical practice.
- (June 2023) I will be giving a keynote at BelBI 2023 and present our new recommendations for the use of PP3 and BP4 criteria on the use of in silico predictors in clinical practice.
- (March 2023) I am giving a lecture at Northestern’s Math Club on March 24th. Title: “Distance metrics for learning on discrete, real-valued and structured data”.
- (March 2023) Hoyin accepted an offer to go for Ph.D. at the tri-institutional Ph.D. program in New York City between Cornell, Rockefeller and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Congratulations and good luck Hoyin!
- (February 2023) On March 15, I will be giving a talk at the ACMG Annual Clinical Genetics Meeting in the session titled “Accelerating Variant Interpretation in Cancer Susceptibility Genes”. See you in Salt Lake City!
Awards and Honors
Honorary Fellow of the Institute for Advanced Study at the Technical University of Munich, 2017
August-Wilhelm Scheer Visiting Professor at Technical University of Munich, 2016
Senior Member, International Society for Computational Biology, 2015
National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 2007
Outstanding Young Researcher, University of Novi Sad, 1998
Major Student Awards
Kymberleigh Pagel, Ian Lawson Van Toch Memorial Award, ISMB/ECCB 2017
Wyatt Clark, Ian Lawson Van Toch Memorial Award, ISMB/ECCB 2013
President-elect, International Society for Computational Biology (ISCB), 2023-
Board of Directors Member, International Society for Computational Biology (ISCB), 2012-2021
Associate Editor, PLoS Computational Biology, 2014-2021
Editorial Board Member, Bioinformatics, Oxford University Press, 2010-
Editorial Board Member, Human Genetics, Springer, 2020-
Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
- Protein structure and function; method development and evaluation of function prediction
- Post-translational modifications (PTMs)
- Mass spectrometry (MS) and MS/MS proteomics
- Understanding and predicting molecular mechanisms of disease
- Genome interpretation
- Precision medicine and precision health
- Semi-supervised learning, learning from positive and unlabeled data, learning from biased data
- Structured-output learning and evaluation, extreme classification
- Kernel-based inference on sequences, time-series, and graphs
Last updated: November 22, 2023