March 24 8:30 am - 4:30 pm EDT
Title: Building World-Class Business Dashboards Workshop
Speaker: Steve Wexler, Founder, Data Revelations
Date: Tuesday, March 24, 2020
Time: 8:30am – 4:15pm
Location: Northeastern University, 805 Columbus Ave, Boston MA, 02120, Interdisciplinary Science & Engineering Complex (ISEC), Room 140
Learn how to build world-class business dashboards from the author of the best-selling book The Big Book of Dashboards.
A well-designed dashboard can point out risks, opportunities, and more; but common challenges and misconceptions can make your dashboard useless at best, and misleading at worst. This workshop will discuss the tools, guidance, and models you need to produce great dashboards that inform, enlighten, and engage.
No other workshop presents concepts in data visualization and dashboard design theory with practical, real-world insights from an expert in the field.
Attendees will be able to immediately apply what they learn to their own work.
ROI: Better dashboards lead to better understanding which lead to better decisions.
- Introduction and fundamentals of data visualization
- Data representation and visualization types
- Breakout session: how to visualize these data sets
- Visualizing Time
- Breakout session: what’s wrong with this chart?
- Engagement through personalization
- Data visualization best practices and dashboard design
- Breakout session: chart creation and dashboard layout
- The case for dashboards and interactivity
- Thinking critically about data
- Art vs. infographic vs. business dashboard
- Dealing with the real world
Workshop attendees will receive a signed copy of The Big Book of Dashboards, breakfast, lunch, and workshop handouts. Laptops are not required for this workshop.
About the Instructor
Steve Wexler is the founder of Data Revelations and co-author of The Big Book of Dashboards: Visualizing Your Data Using Real-World Business Scenarios (Wiley, 2017).
Steve has worked with ADP, Gallup, Disney, Deloitte, Convergys, Consumer Reports, The Economist, ConEd, D&B, Marist, Cornell University, Stanford University, Tradeweb, Tiffany, McKinsey & Company, and many other organizations to help them understand and visualize their data. Steve is a five-time Tableau Zen Master and Iron Viz Champion.
His presentations, workshops, and training classes combine an extraordinary level of product mastery with the real-world experience gained through developing thousands of visualizations for dozens of clients. Steve has taught thousands of people in both large and small organizations and is known for conducting his seminars with clarity, patience, and humor.
- Q) Is there a particular tool I need to use?
- A) Instruction and examples focus on general best practices and are not tool specific.
- Q) Will I be using a computer? If so, do I need to bring a laptop with me?
- A) Attendees will not be using a computer. Just bring whatever you like to use to take notes.
Get tickets HERE